Few things are more central to family traditions than food and we know there are many methods to prepare a great tasting turkey – ovens, grills, and fryers, brined or buttered – the options seem endless! No matter how you prepare your bird, here are some general tips for making sure your turkey is moist and delicious:
Ferndale Market’s Thanksgiving Roasting Tips:
● After your turkey has fully thawed, rub melted butter all over the outside and under the skin of the turkey. Season the exterior with salt and pepper (and any additional seasonings you would like!).
● Estimate about 14 minutes of roasting time per pound when roasting at 325° F (Remember fresh turkeys cook more quickly!)
● If you are cooking your turkey in a roasting pan, pour some broth in the bottom of the pan to keep the oven environment moist (the turkey drippings that collect in the broth make an excellent base for a homemade gravy!)
● Try one of these techniques for keeping the breast extra moist:
– Tent a piece of tin foil over the breast to retain moisture while roasting
– Cook the turkey breast side down: it will allow the juices to pool in the breast and applies more heat to the thighs, which need to reach a higher temperature. If you want browned, crisp skin on the breast, simply flip your bird so it is breast side up for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
● Remember to let your bird rest after cooking, at least 20-30 minutes on the counter, so that the juices can reabsorb back into the breast.
Enjoy your Ferndale Market turkey!